Thursday, December 6, 2018

No Speak-a-da-Human

Dr. Albert and Henry Clay have already taught us so many things that can work with humans too, but one of the most shocking things was about dogs.  That was simply this,  dogs don't understand English.  What? I was convinced they should based on the way Henry Clay looks at me in complete defiance. It seems that he understands every word I say and just thins, "HA!"   I keep saying "no,no, no" - he keeps not listening. It seems like sometimes the word "no" is even a bit of a dare to him.  Now, as a mama and a grandmama the word "no or no-no" seems to come out naturally but he either doesn't even hear it or he just enjoys me saying  it.   I don't know why I keep saying it.  He tugs at whatever I am carrying, bites at my knees, my hands and if I am near his face, bites at my nose.  It is like he thinks it is funny and I am nothing but the gator chew toy he loves so much.  So what to do if he starts to growl, bite and play tug of war. Turns out he has a lot of energy and he just wants to be puppy. It really shouldn't have taken an expert to tell me that, I should have known, but still.  He can't lay around all day and be polite and stay still, he has to move.  So before he starts to show negative behavior give him a play break.  Get him moving,  tax his brain with training and keep him engaged! Wear him out in a positive way!

And yet again another life lesson for educators from Henry Clay. So what do you do when kids get board and play tug of war, growl and snip ?-(which they do, they really do) Sounds like a plan for movement and mentally engaging and taxing real work might just do the trick.  It is so simple- why do we make it so hard?

Alpha Dog

So you might be wondering if Tom ever came around, or if he is ever going to come around.  Based on this picture what do you think? Yeah, he is coming around, but not so much that I don't have to be the lead on house training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Test- There were two tests, and one for me too.

Someone said, "you should write a book."  I feel like a book would require more pages, I just can't get myself to sit down and...